HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I can't believe it is 2008 ~~~ where did the time go?
I am still working on 2008 goals for myself, but it is going to require some more thought and planning....so I'm not ready to post anything just yet. It's ironic how in my profession I work with employees on setting goals in their professional and personal development plans, yet I have a hard time setting any goals for myself. I am trying to following my own advice and set S.M.A.R.T. goals this year for a change:
I'll get back on that topic later....
For now, a brief run report from the past week:
Everyone already knows about my day-after-Christmas-10-miler, and BELIEVE ME......I have the best group of blogging buddies in existence. All the supportive and encouraging words really help seal the deal for me. Just don't think that I post like that just so you can all say nice things to me :P but it is nice to know there are others out there who understand my running accomplishments ~ no matter how big or how small. So if I didn't say it enough during 2007 ~ THANK YOU.
We headed up to Flagstaff, Arizona last Thursday; then went skiing on Friday. I figured that got me a dispensation from running that day :P Saturday was a rest day; Sunday was a tough 3-miler in the high altitude, hills and ice. In all fairness, I suppose that when I post *great* run details, I also need to post the lousy details too. Sunday was a crappy run ~ 3.0 miles in 43:02 ~ yeah, a 14:19 average pace. In all honesty, I was surprised it was even that good! I was tired, cold, and the hills in Flag just kick my tail. Then add an icy running surface and it was ugly. I was happy to just have gotten out and kept moving. Like we all say, a bad run is better than no run.
Monday was rest and travel-home day, topped off at night by too much pizza, chicken wings and beer. (Okay, so it was only one beer, but it made me sound like a New Year's Eve partyer!)
This morning as my first run of the new year, I got a decent 5 miles done. I was still tired, and definitely paying for all the pizza and wings ~ but I got the distance covered in 1:04:31 ~ average pace of 12:54. Not my worst by any means....but not the best. This morning it just felt so refreshing to be out and about, I didn't care about pace in the least. I took a substantial walk break after 3 miles to just enjoy the experience......so that being included, I was happy with the overall outcome.
Now tomorrow I'm back to the grind, with a pile of work awaiting me. In the next week, I also hope to map out 2008 in terms of my running schedule. I have LOTS of work to do, but the last couple weeks have really shown me ~ for the first time ~ that improvement is possible. I am entering 2008 with the highest of hopes for a fantastic year!
Pokey's 27 Amazing Events from 2007
1. I ran.
2. I ran some more.
3. I ran longer distances that I ever imagined possible.
4. I got to run a race with my dear friend, Micheline.
5. I completed my first half-marathon.
6. I had my first group-run.
7. I met Lisa and Pat ~ and the TRC was born.
8. I called myself a runner.
9. I had my first experiences with hyrdation belts, Body Glide, and Gu.
10. My youngest son started preschool.
11. My dear hubby changed jobs to allow him more time with our family.
12. My oldest son played on the 2nd place football team in the state of Arizona.
13. My dear grandmother (my second mom) left this world for a better place.
14. We traveled to Rocky Point, Mexico for a wonderful vacation.
15. I earned a spectacular bonus at work.
16. We watched the movie the Pink Panther at least 50 times.
17. I got over a million hugs and kisses from my wonderful children.
18. My younger son ditched diapers and pullups for good.
19. My older son earned a Wii by pulling down straight A's for an entire semester.
20. My kids have learned to frustrate me and warm my heart all at the same time.
21. I went through 2 pairs of running shoes.
22. I was taken off blood pressure medication after 10 years.
23. I lost, and gained a few pounds.
24. I curbed my Starbucks addiction.
25. I learned to read labels on my food.
26. I became healthier ~ although not thinner ~ than I have ever been.
27. My family has had continued health and happiness ~ and more love than I could ever describe.
I could go on...........but I figured 27 ramblings for 2007 was enough.
Bring on 2008!