Thursday, September 13, 2007

Puke Patrol & the Dark of Night

Puke is just one of the hidden joys of being a parent.

My kids rarely get sick with anything other than a sniffle, so I am pretty relaxed when D complains of a stomach ache in the middle of the night. That is, until I am awakened by the sound of puke at 1:30 a.m.

So I was on puke duty from 1:30 am to 5am. Needless to say, I am exhausted and D is home from school. He’s bummed – it means no football practice tonight.

R is staying home with him this morning so I could come in to the office and get some stuff done; I’ll be home in the afternoon. I’ll just say it’s about FREAKING time he pick up some of the kid-related responsibilities. That is all I am going to say.

I got my run in last night – but I’m not sure how far it ended up being, but my guess is about 3ish miles – maybe a smidge more. I was supposed to have bunco last night, but it got canceled, so I took advantage of the fact that R had already arranged his schedule to be home with the boys.

So I went to my meeting at D’s school; drove thru at Burger King for a Whopper Junior – no mayo – only 7 WW points ;) – then headed to the gym to change clothes and took off.

It was still hot at 7:45 ish when I started running – probably close to 100 still. But no sun, which is definitely a plus.

It started out a pretty crappy run, but ended up okay.

I forgot how much I really don’t like running at night, and I hadn’t done it in so long, that I made some stupid mistakes. First, I wore all BLACK. Black tank shirt, black running shorts. Thank God my shoes are white! Second, and Tewonda the Tri Goddess would be upset: I forgot my pepper spray!!!! There is something comfortable about running with that in my hand – and something very UNcomfortable about not having it.

Motivation and energy come in mysterious forms though- which I learned as I made a bad decision to run through the bus lane at D’s school, since I happened to be running around that area. Not sure bus lane is the right descriptor – but it’s the single lane where the buses park – closed in my chain link fence on side, and the block fences from a row of houses on the other. AND NO LIGHTS. Basically, once you get in there, there is no way out until you reach the other end. Like a tunnel, only open on the top.

This thought occurred to me as I was about ¼ of the way down the lane – which is probably only about 1/8 of a mile or so – but really didn’t sink in until a car turned in behind me.

Not sure what the heck I would have done had the car stopped – I didn’t have my pepper spray to go all Tewonda on them – so I am just thankful I wasn’t faced with that. As they passed, I kicked my tail in gear and sprinted like mad to get out of there. I won’t be running through there again any time soon!

So notes to self: don’t wear black at night, carry pepper spray and don’t run through the bus lanes. I am a smart chick – I learned my lessons!

4 comments:

J~Mom said...

Hi! No, no, no, you can't forget your pepper spray! :>) Tewonda always needs a weapon! :>P

I am in SE Chandler also! I will put my email in the next post and then you can email me and we can chat some more about it. :>)

Sorry about son being sick, I hope he is better soon!

J~Mom said...

Javamomintraining@gmail.com

Marathoner in Training said...

Good job on signing up for the training sessions. That will help keep the motovation going and give you some accurate guidance towards your training. As for running at night. I do run at night most of the time. I have a reflective belt on, and I keep an eye on my souroundings. Keep the spray near by. Are you going to run this sunday at the I did a run in Phx?

Marathoner in Training said...

If you do come out, you can bring your 3 year old, to run with my 3yr old girl and Chad's twin 4 year old boys.