Over the past few weeks I’ve gotten a few emails with good wishes following my little surgery a while back ~ and some of my friends in Blogland have inquired about what I had done. I guess when one mentions a *girlie procedure* that it sparks a bit of interest!
Well, I’m not shy ~ and I’m also a believer that information is beneficial for the greater good, so I thought I would share a bit. In addition, I don’t have anything running-related to blog about (apparently one has to actually RUN in order to blog about it), so what the heck…
MEN: You might want to stop reading here and flip back over to ESPN.com
WOMEN: Carry on....
No, I didn’t have a boob job. Anyone that has met me in person can attest that a procedure like that is not something I have a need for. Just trust me on this one.
No, I didn’t have my tubes tied. The way I figure, if I had two major surgeries to have my two kids, the least my dear Hubs could do was have one minor surgery to ensure we don’t have any more kids. Enough said?
What I did have ~ after much contemplation and research ~ was an Endometrial Ablation procedure. Translated into normal person terms: I had the inside of my uterus destroyed so I wouldn’t spend a miserable week of every month resembling a scene from a bad slasher-film. Get me? (you can google all the technical terms if you’re interested)
Yeah, I thought all you women would get it.
When you find yourself planning your life, and vacations, and races – of all things! – around that time of the month, something just isn’t right. As I’ve gotten….ahem….older…..it seemed that my dear Aunt Flo was just taking advantage of me.
So after months of consideration, I had a ThermaChoice Ablation done on the 29th of April. It was a less-than-30-minute procedure, done in a surgical center, under full anesthesia (my doc’s preference, and mine too) that has a 40% of chance of ridding me of Aunt Flo all together…..and a 60% chance of just making her a much nicer, normal relative.
The jury is still out on the effectiveness of my particular procedure ~ doc says it can take up to 6 months to determine the final success. But in the mean time, my body is basically struggling to heal a lovely, internal, third-degree burn. Makes it sound pretty, huh?
Which leads me to my frustration and lack of running lately. I’ve been getting really irritated with myself for being so out of sync lately ~ until someone I know (that also had an ablation procedure done a few years back) gently reminded me that my body is still VERY much in recovery mode. Just because I can’t see it….or feel it (thank goodness)….my body has a severe internal burn that it is trying to mend. And I guess I’ve come to realize that I’ve been expecting too much of myself too soon. It’s only been 3 weeks since my surgery, and I’m irritated that I don’t have enough energy to run or workout like I think I should be.
Well, after yesterday I have stopped being mad at myself. It is now time for me to be realistic about all the chaos I have put my body through in the past few weeks, and be patient with the ol’ body while it recovers and catches up with my brain. No more mental beatings ~ I just need to do what my body tells me to do.
So there. Isn’t that more information than you really needed?
But seriously ~ there are more women out there than you realize that suffer from the same, vindictive Aunt Flo that I did. Many might be considering such a procedure, and desperately searching (like I was) for anyone that might have an experience to share. So I throw it out there in hopes that if someone needs my insight – they know where to come ask for it. I stumbled upon several blogs during my search, and actually emailed a couple of the authors to inquire. First-hand experience is a very valuable thing.
So watch out ladies – you just might be insanely jealous of me in a few months when I tell you that I have rid myself of pesky, monthly-visiting relatives FOR GOOD! Until then, just smack me when I whine about my running and tell me to get over myself. I’m doing exactly what I should be doing.