Friday, May 9, 2008

The Heart Keeper

Eleven years ago today my heart left my body for the first time, and took root in an 8 pound bundle of joy. After I got over the initial feeling of being scared to death at this new little phenomenon in front of me, over the years I watched my heart run about in its new location – taking first steps, speaking first words, getting on the school bus for the first time, riding a bike, playing football.

It’s an amazing feeling that only a parent can understand when you truly watch your heart – your whole being, every ounce of yourself – walking around in a being separate from your own.

You can’t protect your heart yourself, as it is totally under the control of its Keeper. Over time, it will be elated, broken, stepped upon, proud, disappointed ~ sometimes all at the same time. It all depends on the Keeper.

Today is a special day for one of my Keepers – and he makes me so proud to be a mom.


Happy Birthday my big man……your mom loves you so very much!

13 comments:

Nat said...

And a big Happy Birthday to him!
(Happy Mom's day to you.)

Bev said...

How beautifully written. Happy big 8!

Jeff said...

Well said, Poke!

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Aww...Happy Birthday there big guy!!!

And, Karen - thanks for making me cry.

Marcy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the Kiddo! Awesome post!

Someone once said to me (before I had kids) that "You can never truly understand what love is until you have a child" and now I know how right that is :-) Granted it still doesn't keep me from wanting to put them in a jail sometimes :P LOL

J~Mom said...

Happy Happy Birthday Big Guy!!

Wes said...

Happy Birthday, Big Man!

(and well said Pokey!)

Nancy said...

ahhh, very very sweet. Love how you said it too. Hope you are feeling better.

XOXO

Kim said...

You've captured just what it feels like to be a mother. Kinda' makes me teary in the best way. :)

Michelle said...

Awww, happy birthday to your "heart"! ;-)

You don't look old enough to have an 11-year-old!

And Happy Mother's Day this weekend!!

Viv said...

Happy B Day to the big man!
I'm getting a knot in the throat over here.
Happy Mother's Day!

Cheryl said...

Wow! Well said. You put into words what so many moms feel. This was a beautiful post. Happy birthday to your son!