Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Back to Basics

That is where I am heading ~ back to the old days, circa December 2005 when I took my first attempt at this new thing called running.

The goal back then was to somehow, someday be able to run for 30 consecutive minutes. I started out running 1 minute, and walking 1 minute. Then 2 minutes, 1 minute…..until one day, I knocked out 30 minutes on the treadmill and I was ECSTATIC.

Then I started focusing on mileage….and that is when things changed. In order to go farther, faster ~ I implemented the walk break. Based on information from Jeff Galloway ~ pioneer of the “Galloway Method” ~ it was a perfect fit for a rookie runner. It allowed me to “go the distance” ~ and it worked for me. And like many things, it has served its purpose, but it is now time for a change.

Now it is back to the basics for this Pokey. I have GOT to get myself back on track for continuous running ~ at least for short runs.

There are a couple reasons:

First, I allowed my body to be conditioned to the walk breaks. There was a point when I could run for 45-60 minutes no problem, albeit very slow. Now I have taught my body and my MIND that I need these walk breaks ~ and I don’t. Or I shouldn’t.

Second, I need to lose weight. I have 13 pounds to lose to hit my first weight goal; 23 would be my final, *ideal* goal (although I’m not sure if it’s realistic for me). I need to use running to help me lose the weight – and it isn’t going to happen with the walk breaks. I need 30+ minutes of continuous cardio-running to get the pounds off.

So last night, in my first effort to step back a bit and rethink my running plans, I set out for a TIMED RUN. Very reminiscent of my early days, the only goal was to run for 30 minutes ~ and not a moment more.

And funny enough ~ just like Lisa has also discovered ~ I CAN do it. It isn’t an issue to knock down 30 minutes as long as I have convinced my stubborn mind that it is possible.

So the plan now becomes this:

Timed short runs during the week - at least 2 (preferably 3, but I’m trying to be realistic) – of 30 minutes each. I may even stop taking Garmie and revert back to my old running watch and just set the timer and run. Then after a couple of time runs, I’ll resurrect Garmie and check for any pace improvement. Once I feel like I’ve tackled the 30 minutes at a good pace, I’ll keep adding 5 minutes until……..well, you know.

Long runs on the weekend - keep with the interval running/walking. I am nowhere ready to try and tackle a continuous long run – and the walk breaks serve a purpose in my current race training.

It’s amazing what happens when I run without an iPod ~ I had this all figured out by the time I got home last night! Who knew that so much enlightenment could occur in a mere 30 minutes?


Timed Short Run #1

Time: 30 minutes
Distance: 2.4 miles
Pace: 12:34

14 comments:

Wes said...

I luv it that the three of us are all doing this together! Awesome :-) I'm just lucky that all of my runs are going to be relatively short, so I can build on that. With that said, walk breaks will ALWAYS be OK, if necessary :-) More power to ya!!!

Flo said...

I've been going through the same kind of thing. I'd gotten pretty dependent on the walk breaks and they were coming quicker and quicker. My last few runs I only stop to drink and to bring my HR down if it gets too high. It's tougher mentally than physically.

Jeff said...

That's really great, Poke. I've got to give it a try -- I've maxed at maybe 15 minutes, but I'm gonna give your way a try.

The 311 Boys Mom said...

ok. . . how do you run for 30 minutes, like slow your pace?? (if yes) by how much??? I can r5/w1, for about 45 minutes. . . . I wanna run non-stop, for 15 minutes, I've on ly done 17 minutes once.

& when you say mentally, is it yyou'r psychin' yourself out that you can't????

Now it is pretty crappy & cold here, but I had to slow to r3/w1 or 2 outside for my 5K on sunday & it was HORRIBLE.

I have many questions. . .. .also
Garmin 305??? I was thinking about getting the 205; without the HR monitor, is it worth it?

Viv said...

I love that little how to make your own pokey..LOL!
Great job on getting the 30 minutes stragiht. A walk break if you really need it is otay always. You will be running thouse long distances without the walk breaks soon :-)

The 311 Boys Mom said...

can i just say that becaues of you, this post, I am a better person & runner (check me out--my Blog)

Cheryl said...

Well, I was going to say - when you figure it out, tell me how to do it. But it sounds like you just went and DID it. Huh. My mind is much more stubborn than that about having to take walk breaks. Help!

Oh, and you rock! Go Pokey! I really am happy for you.

Nancy said...

OH Poke, you SO have this in you. You will go up by a lot quicker than 5 minutes. You'll run a couple 3 milers and the next day you'll just go 4. You'll be so suprised how fast you progress once you start doing it. If I can do it, YOU can do it. :D

Laura N said...

I so totally identify with you on this! I ran for about 25 minutes straight the other day on the treadmill, but it took a ton of mental energy to get it done. I'm so used to stopping after about 10 minutes for a walk break. You're right--it's mental but it's also physical. We get used to the break.

You did great on this first attempt. You will surely improve quickly, since you have such a great base built.

Bill Carter said...

Hi Pokey

Isn't it the funniest thing how we runners are constantly evaluating ourselves and trying to get better. I absolutely agree with you on the conditioned nature of the body... it really only does as much as it has to. I think it is great that you made yourself do the whole 30 minutes... at a great pace btw.

Best of luck.

J~Mom said...

You are doing awesome!!! Great job with your timed runs!

Chief Wahoo said...

People can run with ipods?

I don't think I could do it!

Your plan sounds great.

Marathoner in Training said...

How dare your mind to think it knows what is best for you. Stand up for your self and run without walking breaks. That is the way to show your body/mind who is boss.
Great job

Michelle said...

You can do this!

Thirty minutes is a very good goal. You can build on it from there. But don't totally abandon the walk breaks if you need them. :-)