My brain has been in a bit of overload mode since my meeting with the trainer on Monday ~ all this nutrition and exercise stuff can get very complicated, very fast!
But I am trying to make sense of it all, and figure out the best way for me to meet my goals. I have the exercise thing all figured out and know what I need to do ~ it’s the nutrition that is weighing on my mind. Basically, I have 2 weight loss options:
The Weight Watchers Way
I am no stranger to Weight Watchers ~ I know how to do it and I know that it works. Well, it has worked for me in the past. It worked great when I had 35 pounds to lose a few years ago ~ and it stopped working as well after I lost a majority of the weight. WW got me to the lowest weight of 149, and that was about 2 years ago. I remember that the drop from 155 to 149 took FOREVER!! So now, at 159 pounds I am almost at the same starting point.
I have been somewhat following WW for the past while, and have dropped about 4 pounds. The last couple weeks though, I have been stalled at the 159-160 mark. So I know I need something to mix it up a bit.
The Calorie Counting Way
This is what the trainer has advised for me ~ 1420 calories per day, with a target goal of 140g of protein, 140g of carbs and less than 30-35g of fat.
If you are anything like me, I almost flipped at the 140g of daily protein!!!! I think that’s a lot. But, like anything ~ it’s a target to shoot for.
Apparently the breakdown is based on your body weight ~ healthy weight loss nutrition indicates that you should eat 1g of protein and 1g of carb for every pound of body weight ~ and my trainer used my goal weight of 140 to compute my specific daily totals.
In addition, trainer woman says that I should be eating 6-8 times a day (and apparently Hershey kisses don’t count here), and that every time I eat a meal or snack it should have ALL the nutritional components present. Translated: every time you put food in your mouth, make sure it has protein, carb and fat. Easy as pie, right?
Not so much. This has taking a lot of planning and though on my part over the past couple days to try and make this thing work. Yesterday I stuck to the plan like glue, and was actually struggling last night to make sure I ate all my calories. And the funny thing ~ I wasn’t the least bit hungry.
So I am giving this calorie-counting thing a try for now, and see how it works. Again, the trainer reaffirmed for me that nutrition is 80% of the weight loss battle; exercise is the small remaining 20%.
The best part of all of this is that I feel totally committed. I am committed to making a change this summer, and the end result will be a healthier, more fit Pokey. By the time I run my next half marathon this fall, I AM going to be at least 10 pounds lighter and have a lot less body fat to lug around!!
If any other of my Blogland experts have any nutritional advice for me, I’d be happy to take it! I need all the help I can get ;)
Monday ~ Run with concrete shoes - 3 miles; Body Pump (weight lifting) - 60 minutes
Tuesday ~ Tae-Bo – 30 minutes
Wednesday ~ (PLAN) Body Attack – 60 minutes
Thursday ~ REST (aaaahhhhhh)
Friday ~ (PLAN) Run - TBD
Saturday~ (PLAN) Run - TBD
Sunday~ (PLAN) Run or Rest ~ it's a coin toss